Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Glasgow...an interview in an uber urban cafe and a visit to a remarkable building...

Today I boarded the train to Glasgow's Central Station...the station looks like one of those film set stations where great adventures begin...

...and on, to a cafe under the railway...and the sound of the trains rumbling overhead.

I met Steven MacKenzie from the Big Issue, who interviewed me about Sky Hawk. I asked him about the Big Isssue too, a magazine about current affairs, music, film and book reviews, and up and coming events. He said the Big Issue was set up in 1991 as a way of giving homeless people an income by selling the magazine, giving some people the chance to the first steps to make an independent life for themselves.
Steven said behind everyone there is a story to be listened to. It made me think about stories, both real and fictional and how they let us understand others' lives and give us a view about the wider world.
That's what's so crazy about all these library closures...taking away books and stories gives us a blinkered view about the world.



It was a whistle stop tour of Glasgow, but I ended up on a number 62 bus heading out of town to what turned out to be a treasure trove of art, natural history, ancient history, local history....the list goes on...


The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

I only had about 40 minutes to explore...but I could have had a whole day. I'm definitely coming back here.



An exhibition of Scottish wildlife (note the osprey top left!).

A great auk...now completely extinct. To think ospreys were wiped out of Britain in the early 1900's. The pair that returned to Scotland in the 1950's was protected and now there are 200 breeding pairs! That's an amazing success story...it just shows what can happen if we give wildlife and our wild areas a chance.

There were lots of other interesting things in this museum. I love these heads...they all have different expressions...


And this wellie boot dog...

Oh....and Elvis lives......in Glasgow!!!!!

Off to Aviemore tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing the ospreys but I'll be sad to leave Edinburgh. There's so much more I'd like to see.


0 comments:

Post a Comment